Journey to Borneo - Spring 2018
March 3-15, 2018
Itineraries are shaped by the requests of you—our travelers—along with the needs of the staff and community members in Indonesia. We appreciate your flexibility during the trip!
March 3: Health In Harmony staff will meet you in Jakarta.
March 4-11: Travel to Sukadana, West Borneo, where our partner ASRI is located. These will be busy, engaging days where you will gain a holistic understanding of ASRI’s planetary health programs. Activity options include:
- Hiking in Gunung Palung National Park--one of the most important pockets of primary rain forest on the island of Borneo
- Shadowing doctors see how they provide compassionate, high-quality care in a resource-limited setting
- Planting seedlings to restore orangutan habitat
- Feasting on a farm-to-table meal grown by sustainable agriculture program participants
- Meeting and offering support to entrepreneurs who are developing small businesses
- Visiting an elementary school or the ASRI Kids program to meet the next generation of planetary health advocates
- Enjoying time for relaxation and reflection at the local beach
March 12-14: Visit Tanjung Puting National Park in Central Borneo. Board a traditional klotok river boat, and be surrounded by breathtaking rain forest scenery. The boat transports you to multiple orangutan rehabilitation sites. While active rehabilitation is no longer taking place at these sites, feedings still occur each day, with many opportunities to see the great apes up-close. Onboard the boat, you will enjoy a tranquil journey, incredible food and hospitality, and knowledgeable guides. On the evening of March 14, travel to the city of Pontianak for the evening and stay at a hotel with optional spa services.
March 15: Trip concludes in Jakarta.
$3,500 per participant**
**NOTE: These fees cover travel costs as well as a donation that goes directly to the work happening in Borneo.
- Hotel accommodations
- Domestic travel (air, land, and boat) within Indonesia
- All entrance and activity fees
- All meals and snacks
- Purified water
- Partner and staff costs, including two guides who will provide comprehensive logistical support throughout the trip
- Custom trip planner, which includes packing tips, weather insights, health and safety briefings, and reading materials to prepare you for your experience
- Donation to HIH and ASRI programs
- International airfare, and all baggage costs
- Emergency evacuation insurance
- Alcoholic beverages
- Personal expenses and souvenirs
We must meet a minimum of 6 travelers by January 3rd to confirm this trip. If we do not meet this minimum, we will cancel the trip and return your deposit (or payment in full). Your deposit is otherwise non-refundable.
*Photo credit: Michelle Bussard