Awards and Press
Winner of Mongabay’s Innovation in Conservation Award, and seen in BBC, TEDx, New York Times, and The Lancet. For all media requests, please email Darya.
- "Saving rainforests with a stethoscope" by Johan Bergendorff at Sveriges Radio (in Swedish).
- "Cheap medical care saves orangutans in Borneo" by Johan Bergendorff at Sveriges Radio (in Swedish).
- Board Member, Dr. Courtney Howard, gives a talk at TEDxMontrealWomen about why we need to bridge the gap between the health of people and the environment:
- "How the save the rainforest: Build a health center" featured on CNN and Mosaic by Yao-Hua Law.
- Founder, Dr. Kinari Webb, on episode of The Story Collider podcast, "Metamorphosis: Stories about radical change." Listen here.
- Founder, Dr. Kinari Webb, gives Yale School of Medicine's Commencement Address. Recap here and full speech here.
- Founder, Dr. Kinari Webb, gives a talk at the Smithsonian's Inaugural Earth Optimism Summit:
- "Paying for healthcare with trees: win-win for orangutans and communities" by Claire Salisbury at Mongabay.
- Listen: "Heroines of the Rainforest" by Peter Hadfield at BBC Radio 4.
- "A village's first female chief ended illegal logging with spies and checkpoints" by Carolyn Beeler at PRI The World.
- "Protecting Indonesia's forests, one doctor's appointment at a time" by Carolyn Beeler at PRI The World.
- Listen: "Indonesia's forests are key for saving orangutans - and slowing climate change" by Carolyn Beeler at PRI The World.
- "Offline: 2016-Some Lessons to Consider" by Richard Horton at The Lancet.
- Watch: "Kinari Webb at Healthy Planet - Radical Listening: Saving Lives and Rainforest in Borneo" at Medact's Healthy Planet, Better World conference. Video here:
- "Building a 'Good Anthropocene' From the Bottom-Up" by Andrew C. Revkin at The New York Times.
- Watch: "Borneo loggers swap chainsaws for cheap healthcare" by Nick Perry at AFP. Video here:
- ASRI Co-Founder, Drg. Hotlin Ompusunggu wins the Whitley Gold Award.
- "Health In Harmony Saves Rainforests with 'Stethoscopes'" by Nadine A. Post at Engineering News-Record.
- "Saving Rainforest with a Stethoscope" on Dean on Campus Blog at Queen's University School of Medicine.
- "Forest Guardians and Discount Clinics: Rethinking How to Save the Environment in Kalimantan" by A.Tianna Scozzaro and Suzanne York in New Security Beat.
- "Making 'Radical' the Path to Empowering People and Nature" by Suzanne York in Transition Earth.
- "From the Forest to the Health Clinic" by Michelle Bussard in Policy Innovations of the Carnegie Council.
- "Healthy forests for healthy lives" by Novia D. Rulistia at The Jakarta Post.
- "From illegal logger to tree hugger" by Novia D. Rulistia atThe Jakarta Post.
- "Goats for Widows" by Novia D. Rulistia at The Jakarta Post.
- "Cutting deforestation in its tracks with affordable healthcare" by Katie McCrory at Virgin Unite.
- Watch: "Saving lives by saving trees" Dr. Kinari Webb gives a second TED talk at TEDxRainier in Seattle:
- "Saving the Rainforest with a Stethoscope?" by Alison Pace on NOW! Jakarta.
- "Do Population, Health, and Environment Projects Work? A Review of the Evidence" by Carolyn Lamere on New Security Beat.
- "Portland group honored for preserving forests, orangutan habitat in Borneo" by Steve Law on Portland Tribune.
- Health In Harmony is selected to be featured in the Sustainia100, an annual guide for the world's 100 most innovative solutions. Find us on page 135, courtesy of Sustainia.
- "Radical Listening: Scaling Health Care Delivery and Conservation" interview with Dr. Kinari Webb by Rachel Pohl on Global Health Delivery Project.
- "Climate Story #2: Health and environment intertwine in Borneo" blog by Lauren Herbert on 360bybike.com.
- "Reforestation programs may help reduce illegal logging in Indonesian Borneo" by Ariel Mark on Mongabay.
- "The Real Reason Deforestation Happens Has Nothing to Do With Wood" by Zachary Slobig on Take Part.
- Health In Harmony Founder, Dr. Kinari Webb, is awarded the Mulago Foundation Ranier Arnhold Fellowship and Ashoka Social Entrepreneur Fellowship.
- "Healthcare, Environmental Conservation Come Together in Indonesia" WorldBrief interview on HuffPost Live.
- "Why Do We Volunteer To Help People in Other Countries?" interview on The Faith Middleton Show on WNPR.
- "Saving Lives and Rainforest: An Interview with Kinari Webb, MD of ASRI Medical Clinic, West Kalimantan" by Stephanie Brookes on NOW! Jakarta.
- "Conservation Medicine: Be a Doctor, Save the Planet" by Stefan Wheat in UVM Medicine Blog.
- "West Kalimantan - Rays of Hope" by Clare McAlaney on Bali Soul Journals.
- "Next big idea in forest conservation? Offer health care for forest protection" by Liz Kimbrough in Mongabay.
- "Resuscitating the Rainforest" by Jake Abrahamson in Sierra Magazine.
- "Could a Stethoscope Save a Coral Reef?" by Camia Dimock and Jessica Deane Rosner in Brown Medicine Magazine.
- "Harmony in the Forest: Improving Lives and the Environment in Southeast Asia" by Swara Salih in New Security Beat.
- "Discussing the Social Entrepreneurial Movement as a Means of Provoking Normative Change in West Kalimantan, Indonesia: An Interview With Kinari Webb" by Bethany Kois in the Austrian Journal of South-East Asian Studies.
- "A Trip To Borneo" by Dr. Jim and Lauri Young in The Iowa Family Physician.
- "Pregnant in Rural Borneo: What I Learned About Doctoring" by Dr. Aaliya Yaqub in DrGreene.com.
- "Chainsaws and Stethoscopes" Dr. Kinari Webb's first TED talk about ASRI and the Health In Harmony model, presented at TEDxJakSel. Video here:
- "Yale doctors around the world" in Yale Medicine.
- "Save the Trees, We'll Save Your Life" by Brendan Borrell in Pacific Standard.
- "Back to Basics in Borneo: Why Rheumatologists Are Meant For Medical Missions" by Heidi Splete in Rheumatology News.
- Outside Magazine ranks Health In Harmony in top 30 charities for citizen philanthropy in the article titled "The Year of Giving Adventurously."
- "Indonesian group strikes unusual bargain to save forest" by Sara Schonhardt inThe Christian Science Monitor.
- "Indonesia Clinic Seeks to Save Patients, Forest" in Voice Of America.
- "Indonesia Clinic Discounts Health Care for Conservation-Minded Communities" in Voice Of America.
- "Health And Harmony: Population, Health, and Environment in Indonesia" by Kate Diamond in New Security Beat.
- "Alum talks deforestation" by Mariana Lopez-Rosas atYale Daily News.
- "How Dentists are Saving Borneo's Rainforest" in The Independent.
- "Indonesian Dentist Helps Reforest Orangutan Habitat" by Yvonne Bachmann at The Dental Tribune.
- "Borneo dentist, patients work to save rainforest, orangutans" by Stacie Crozier in American Dental Association News.
- Dr. Hotlin Ompusunggu wins the prestigious Whitley Award. Video profile here and video of speech at award's ceremony here.
- Audio: "Dokter yang merangkap aktivis" from BBC Indonesia [in Indonesian].
- "Program that cuts illegal logging by providing high quality health care in Borneo wins major conservation award" by Rhett A. Butler at Mongabay.
- "RI conservationist receives award from British royalty" in The Jakarta Post.
- "ASRI's Integrated Healthcare and Conservation Programming in Borneo" by Jenny Blair at New Security Beat.
- "An alumna learns about low-resource medicine in Borneo: Chickens in the house, the price of clinical acumen, and the practice of medicine with few resources," by Jenny Blair in Yale Medicine.
- "Kinari Webb: saving lives and saving rainforests" by Priya Shetty inThe Lancet.
- "The Planet Doctor" by Melinda Tugus inYale Alumni Magazine.
- "Quality Health Care is Saving the Rain Forest" by Amy Carol Wolff in Social Earth.
- "No Insurance? On Borneo, This Clinic Accepts Manure" on PBS NewsHour.
- Health In Harmony Founder, Dr. Kinari Webb, Receives Tikkun Olam (Healing of the World) Award from the Bethany United Church of Christ Church in Randolph, Vermont.
- Health In Harmony Founder, Dr. Kinari Webb, featured as New Eco Role Model at O, The Oprah Magazine.
- Health In Harmony receives the Mongabay's Innovation in Conservation Award. See interview: "Linking rural health care to forest conservation proving to be a success in Borneo" by Rhett A. Butler at Mongabay.
- "Saving Forests, Saving Lives" by Brita Johnson in New America Media.
- "A life's work in Indonesia" by Jill Max inYale Medicine Magazine.
- "It takes at least a village" in Reed Magazine.
*Photo Credit: Tim Tan