Health In Harmony works with the communities on the front lines of conserving the natural resources we all depend on. We all share one climate, so a rain forest on the other side of the world impacts your air and water, and if the people living around that rain forest are logging to pay for healthcare, it means that their health matters for your health.
Due to our emphasis on community engagement and radical listening, our programs have buy-in and are especially effective at both conserving the forest and improving human health. We've been recognized by multiple leaders in the industry for efficacy and impact. We are poised to grow, and your gift can be part of scaling a truly innovative method for conserving the world's critical ecosystems.
Finally, we see our donors as partners. We are a lean and agile organization that recognizes, through your generosity and passion for change, you make this work happen. We have personal relationships with our donors and provide transparency on how we use our donations. We are a small team - you'll know our names and how to contact us.
Each year we receive approximately 40% of our funding from foundations and other organizations like zoos, religious communities, and universities. The remaining 60% of funding is from individuals. This group of individuals typically numbers about 450 people each year. Our donors are a small, loyal, and mighty group, and each donation is important!
Beyond that, our donors are people who want to see change in the world, and they recognize a pioneering idea worthy of investment when they see it. Our donors recognize that people need the planet and the planet needs people. They see that our health here is dependent on people caring for ecosystems on the other side of the world, so we must care for them to create a healthy planet for all of us.
Every person has something to give to protect the planet, and we are stronger working together. Our donors are partners with communities to improve healthcare and conserve critical natural resources.Health In Harmony and ASRI are two separate non-governmental organizations: one in the United States, one in Indonesia. We purposefully structured the organization this way, not only for liability reasons but because we believe ASRI will be more successful if it is fully owned and run by the local community. While ASRI is one of Health In Harmony's global partners, we have separate governance and management structures, though our staff teams work closely together.
Health In Harmony and ASRI are two separate non-governmental organizations: one in the United States, one in Indonesia. We purposefully structured the organization this way, not only for liability reasons but because we believe ASRI will be more successful if it is fully owned and run by the local community. While ASRI is one of Health In Harmony's program sites, we have separate governance and management structures, though our staff teams work closely together.
Health In Harmony supports ASRI with fundraising and technical capacity building; we communicate the story of this model and work with partners in Global Health, OneHealth, Population Health and Environment, and other related fields; and we manage the volunteer program that is integral to ASRI’s high-quality healthcare and conservation programs. Health In Harmony also carries out research on what has makes ASRI successful, so we can scale-up that success around the world with new partners, communities, and environments.
We want to be as sure as possible of the impact of these programs to make sure your donations are effectively working. Monitoring and evaluation is becoming standard practice among reputable NGO's and research studies will also help us understand what has worked at ASRI, so we can take this model elsewhere.
Health In Harmony is in the process of answering this question! The answer could look a lot of different ways from partnering with already existing programs, to bringing people to ASRI to train in the Community Hospital and Training Center, to starting new sites from the ground up like we did with ASRI. If you know of a program or area you think we should look into please email Kari.
Logistically, as ASRI is an Indonesian organization, donations directly to them would require a bank transfer instead of a mailed check or online credit card transaction. Plus, there would be no tax benefit for you. More importantly, your gifts also support Health In Harmony’s critical work, without which, ASRI couldn’t exist.
Sign up for our monthly eNewsletter, follow our blog, Facebook, and Instagram for updates from the field. Be sure to check out our annual report (past years and more detailed financial information here) and our end of the year mailing. If you have further questions, ASK! We love talking with you, the people making this work happen, and are eager to help you understand the difference you make.
If you have any further questions, contact Trina or call 503.688.5579.